As in the previous year, the entrance tests were held at several locations throughout Austria. The tests for MedUni Vienna were held at the Messe Wien, in Graz the Stadthalle Graz and in Upper Austria the Messe Wels were the venues. In Innsbruck, the tests for the Medical University of Innsbruck were held at the Messe Innsbruck.
The participation figures in detail:
- At MedUni Vienna, a total of 5,851 people took the entrance test; originally 7,537 applications had been received.
- At the Medical University of Innsbruck, a total of 2,334 people took the test today (Friday). During the online registration until the end of March, there had been 3,200 people.
- At Med Uni Graz, where there were originally 2,589 registrations, a total of 2,033 people took part today, Friday.
- In Upper Austria (Medical Faculty of JKU Linz), 1,517 people took part; by the end of online registration, 2,074 interested people had registered.
Contents of the entrance tests MedAT-H and MedAT-Z
The entrance test for human medicine (MedAT-H) is a multi-part, written procedure and is divided into the following sections:
- Basic knowledge test Medical studies: testing of prior school knowledge in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Text comprehension: Checking reading skills and comprehension of texts.
- Cognitive abilities and skills: This part of the test consists of five groups of tasks (assembling figures, number sequences, word fluency, memory and retentiveness, and recognising implications) and measures basic cognitive abilities and skills.
- Social-emotional competencies: This part of the test consists of the task groups Regulating Emotions, Recognising Emotions and Social Decision Making, which capture essential aspects of social-emotional competencies.
The social skills section of the test was expanded in 2023: In agreement with the participating universities and the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research, the number of test items was increased and regulating emotions was added as another item group.
The entrance test for dentistry (MedAT-Z) is for the most part identical to the MedAT-H. Instead of the test section Text Comprehension and the task group Recognise Implications, the task groups Wire Bending and Mirror Shapes are used in the test section Manual Skills.
A total of 1,850 study places
For the academic year 2023/24, a total of 1,850 study places are available for human medicine and dentistry, 760 of them at the Medical University of Vienna, 410 at the Medical University of Innsbruck, 370 at the Medical University of Graz and 310 at the Medical Faculty of the JKU Linz. At least 95 percent of the study places are reserved for EU citizens and persons of equal status with regard to access to studies, and at least 75 percent of the study places are reserved for applicants with a secondary school leaving certificate from Austria. However, this quota regulation only applies to the allocation of study places in human medicine.